Fuzzy - not just a name, a way of life

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Would you like fries with your network admin?

Someone commented to Lindsay this week that they prefer her blog posts when she's angry, rather than whimsical or insightful. I thought about it for a moment, and realised that I'm usually only motivated to blog when something is annoying me, or if I'm pissed off. Well, guess what? I'm pissed off! So ... time to blog!

For nearly two weeks, we've had repeated network problems at work. Most of the problems stem from the decision to bring in a new cisco router. While the cow-orkers responsible for the job insist there were "problems" with the kit, I was left wondering what the hell happened to planning, testing, and the like. In fact, any semblance of professional conduct - or competence - seemed to be completely lacking. I could rant for hours on IT infrastructure as basic business plumbing, but I can be more succinct with an analogy. Would anyone, even the most retarted of home handy-person, start tearing out the plumbing, without some thought for what could go wrong. "Well, honey, I disconnected the shower - but what d'ya know, the replacement I bought is actually a dishwasher. Oh well, we'll just have learn to live with it". Even worse, imagine doing this, but not telling the wife until after she walks into the bathroom, to discover she needs to be a Houdini. Communication ... we don't need no stinking communication.

Did these guys take some kind of trans-technological vow of silence. "No talking. And no networking. Oh, and no talking about networking! Yeah ...".

Fuck that. I got to wondering how long a given set of people, whom for all intents and purposes are incapabable of performing a task, can make it appear that they can do it. Essentially, how long can the talentless fake talent? In this case, too fucking long! It doesn't help that the person ultimately responsible for the whole area - a rather "senior" person (in all meanings of the word) - is completely lacking in the two things you'd want from a manager in a techology company ... management skill, and technical savvy.

Well, rant over. I'd think about saying "stay tuned for my next rant", but that would display a naïve confidence in a reliable network :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home